business

Algeria surpasses the US as the main gas supplier in September

Written by ebookingservices


©Reuters. Algeria overtakes the US as the main gas supplier in September

Madrid, Oct 7 (.).- Algeria regained its historic leadership as Spain’s main supplier of natural gas in September after eight months in which it had been overtaken by the United States, after several diplomatic conflicts that have hampered imports from the country North African

According to the Enagás Statistical Bulletin (BME:) corresponding to September published this Friday, Spain imported a total of 8,931 gigawatt hours (GWh) of natural gas from Algeria, 25.4% of the total, almost all through the Medgaz gas pipeline .

Despite the fact that the volume of imported Algerian gas in September is 46% lower than that registered in the same month of the previous year, the Maghreb country has regained its position as Spain’s leading supplier after surpassing the United States, something that had not happened since December 2021.

Then, Spain imported 10,617 GWh from Algeria, 27.3% of the total volume purchased, while US gas imports reached 9,528 GWh, with a share of 24.5%.

In the last year, Algerian imports have been affected by the closure on November 1 of the Maghreb-Europe gas pipeline (GME (NYSE:)), which brought gas from Algeria through Morocco, due to a diplomatic conflict between these countries .

This has meant that in recent months the weight of liquefied natural gas (LNG) imports has increased, especially those from the United States, to the detriment of the gas that is transported through gas pipelines, and that only comes to Spain from Algeria. , France and Portugal, although in the latter case almost testimonially.

Although this situation has not been reflected in the data, the diplomatic relationship between Spain and Algeria has deteriorated since the North African country decided on June 8 to break the Treaty of Friendship with Spain, in force since 2002, after the change of position of the Government Spanish on Western Sahara, supporting the Moroccan proposal.

Despite these conditions, during the last month Algeria has surpassed the United States for the first time so far this year, although imports from the North American country have increased by almost 2% compared to 2021, reaching 6,012 GWh, on 17 .1% of the total.

RUSSIA, THIRD

Behind Algeria and the United States was Russia, which, although it continues to lose ground after the sanctions imposed by the West after the invasion of Ukraine, exported 5,355 GWh to Spain in September, 15.2% of the total, when in the same month of the previous year its flow with Spain was nil.

Very close to the country presided over by Vladimir Putin was Nigeria, with an exported volume of 5,338 GWh, also 15.2% of the total and almost double that of a year ago, ahead of France (2,617 GWh) and Angola (2,062 GWh). ).

The rest of the countries that imported gas to Spain during September were Trinidad and Tobago, Cameroon, Egypt, Qatar, Indonesia and Portugal.

In absolute terms, Spanish gas imports decreased by 2.4% in the last month to 35,225 GWh.

Maintaining the trend of recent months, in September 69.6% of imports arrived in Spain in the form of LNG, which transport methane tankers to the six Spanish regasification plants, while the remaining 30.4% did so through pipelines.

THE UNITED STATES LEADS SO FAR THIS YEAR

However, despite being overtaken in the last month by Algeria, the United States established itself as the largest importer of natural gas from Spain in the first nine months of the year, with a total of 102,694 GWh, 30.5% of the total. and more than three times what it was a year ago.

Algeria remains the second importer so far this year, despite its contribution decreasing by nearly 42% to 82,593 GWh, 24.5% of the total.

Behind both countries, Nigeria stands out, with 48,705 GWh, 14.5% of imports; Russia, with 38,125 GWh and 11.3%; and France, which reaches a volume of 15,918 GWh, 4.7%.

On a global level, Spain has exported 336,722 GWh in the first nine months of the year, which is 12% higher than the figures for the same period of the previous year.

About the author

ebookingservices

Leave a Comment