Federer defends his decision to retire from professional tennis

London, September 21 (Prensa Latina) The Swiss Roger Federer defended here today his decision to retire from professional tennis, although he assured his followers that he will continue to be linked to the sport where he shone internationally for two decades.

I love this game and want to stay involved in some way. I will not become a ghost or a stranger, the 41-year-old athlete told a press conference in London.

Federer, who last week shocked the world with news of his impending retirement, said it was the right decision after struggling last July to recover from the third operation on his right knee in a year and a half.

I had a lot of time to make that decision because I haven’t played for more than a year, and it’s the right one because it’s the only one I can take, stressed the tennis player, after pointing out that he realized that the time had come to abandon active sports when was able to increase the intensity of the workouts.

The legendary tennis player, who throughout his career won 103 ATP tournaments, including 20 Grand Slams and a gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, said he will say goodbye to professional tennis this Friday, in a doubles match during the opening of the Laver Cup to be held in London until Sunday.

Asked about the name of his partner for that match, he said that he would like to play with the Spanish Rafael Nadal, but the tournament organizers have not yet announced the composition of the duets.

Apart from Federer and Nadal, the European team will be made up of Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Stefanos Tsitsipas and Casper Ruud, with Matteo Berrettini as a substitute.

The Rest of the World roster is made up of Felix Auger-Aliassime, Taylor Fritz, Diego Schwartzman, Jack Sock, Alex de MiƱaur and Frances Tiafoe, while Tommy Paul will be the reserve player.

mv/nm

.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.