Nearly six months into the IRS’s 2021 filing season, the agency revealed that it still has millions of unprocessed returns.
And it is that according to new figures revealed on July 29, the agency has more than 10.2 million declarations of 2021 without processing. Of these, 1.8 million were delayed because they required bug fixes and 8.4 million because they were issued by mail.
For its part, given the lack of employees and federal funds, the IRS warned that those who have not yet received their refund could be waiting for it for up to six months. But the agency stressed that those still without their refund will be rewarded with more money.
Why hasn’t my refund arrived?
The IRS explained that there are several reasons why it does not send refunds, including:
• You need a correction in the amount of the Recovery Reimbursement Credit
• You need a correction to the amount of the Child Tax Credit
• It’s incomplete
• Is flagged for identity theft or fraud
• Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit using 2019 income.
• Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allowance, which could take up to 14 weeks to process
• Needs additional review
Do you want to talk to the IRS? We tell you how here.